This blog reflects on life at work at comments on the latest news that shapes my 9-5 working day in a Corporate Communications consultancy.

About Me

I am a born and bred South African who has always loved to read and write. As a child my mother used to read to me and my siblings, from classics like the “Lord of the Rings” but later also from her own stories. She would write children’s stories and then use us as her test audience, but I loved to hear what she had written long after my siblings had tired of it. So I grew up in an environment of reading and writing, which inspired my love of these things. I hope to write a great book some day, and have learnt first hand the determination and will that it takes. My love of English inspired me to continue my study of it at university. I majored in Law and English in a BA degree at UCT where I found that I took to English much more than law. I enjoyed learning about South Africa’s history and the development of our liberal Constitution, which increasingly made me committed to the hope this country has for the future. Ideally, I’d like to find myself in a job where I am able to write; that allows a good mix of time spent with people and being able to work on my own.

Sunday, 08 July 2007

Live Earth

Yesterday I was privileged to be able to go to the Live Earth concert with Ijeoma. The concerts took place in all seven continents in major cities like London, New York, Sidney and Tokyo, in a global initiative to draw attention to the crisis of climate change. The line up of artists was as follows:

ANGELIQUE KIDJO
BAABA MAAL
DANNY K
JOSS STONE
THE PARLOTONES
THE SOWETO GOSPEL CHOIR
UB40
VUSI MAHLASELA
ZOLA

In between set changes we had various people speaking to inspire us to change our daily habits. There are small things we can all do, including:

Recycle
Buying Pick 'n Pay "Green Bags" (or others like them) and taking them to the shops everytime we go, instead of using plastic ones
Eat less meat - have one 'vegetarian day' at least a week
Don't leave electrical appliances on standby
Switch of lights/ other appliances if you aren't using them
Buy local produce, rather than imported products that have been flown in, which contributes to the Co2 in the atmosphere

The Live Earth concert was inspiring and prompted me to think about my own habits. Also, I realised that the concert was once a germ of an idea in someone's head, and now it's been brought to fruition across the world. It must be fulfilling to see your idea grow and be achieved on such a large scale.

3 comments:

Susan Mwangi said...

Let me stir up some controversy here...

When you say, “Buy local produce, rather than imported products that have been flown in, which contributes to the Co2 in the atmosphere”

There is debate that is all the rave in the U.K, where the residents are being urged to shun Kenyan veggies and eat local (a different brand local is lekker). Man, does that spell doom for the African farmer and his produce or what? If this is a sign of the things to come, what is the future of African agriculture?

Time to diversify! What are your thoughts on this one?

Adam N. Mukendi said...

Hi Sue,
Susan Mangi asked you what is the future of african productions if we should or they should consume locally. I don't say she is right or wrong. But i would call you two to be realistic. AL GORE himself will never become president of US because of these ideas. There is billions and billions of dollars at stake. The idea sounds so nice that I didn't sleep that day because I was watching this world wide concert and precisely their advertising on the concept. The UK concert was the best with a pick by Metallica (rock)..I was disappointed by the Joburg one because of a poor sound system.
Brief, Many are willing to answer the call (SOS EARTH) but lets be realistic...it will take time.
Adam

Susan Arthur said...

Yes, the concert has been controversial. Many dissenters argue that staging a concert was not the best way to address the problem of climate change. Others argued it was simply a publicity stunt for Al Gore.

I think it was a good way to draw awareness to a problem that, if we all pull together, we have the power to address.

With regards to Kenyan veggies... well, that's a difficult question to answer. Perhaps there are ways to work around the problem.. to keep eating foreign foods but still change our habits to make a difference for climate change.